10 Steps to Your Healthiest School Year Ever!
1. Start off strong with a healthy breakfast. A good breakfast provides energy and will help keep you alert and attentive in class. Highly sugared foods leave you feeling tired soon after eating. Try universal free breakfast at school.
Remember: Your school performance is directly related to what you eat!
2. Drink plenty of water. Water is the best fluid to stay hydrated without the added sugar found in juice and soft drinks. Also, remember to drink the recommended amount of reduced-fat milk or milk alternative. Milk is served at school for breakfast and lunch every day.
3. Don’t forget to wash your hands often. Keep hands away from your face, mouth, and nose where germs can enter your body.
4. Boost your immune system. Get plenty of sleep, and eat colorful fruits and vegetables every day. Think variety and rainbow colors!
5. Eat a nutritious and yummy lunch. Choose foods from all the food groups. Different food groups supply our bodies with energy to think, move, and grow. Make healthy choices from the daily menus, or pack a healthy lunch from home.
6. Cut back on sugar and salty snacks. Eliminate or reduce sodas, sport drinks, candy, & chips – they add on extra calories, can harm your teeth, and leave you feeling tired and weak.
7. Enhance your brain performance. Exercise, play memory games, do crossword puzzles, and eat brain foods like fruits and vegetables. Just say “NO” to fast food. Try preparing a meal together at home.
8. Get at least 60 minutes of exercise every day – at recess and at home. Exercise helps our bodies to be strong, flexible, and resilient.
9. Do your homework every day after school. It’s so important to be prepared!
10. Turn off the TV and video games at least one hour prior to bedtime. Take time to relax, take a bath or shower, brush your teeth, and read a book