MEDICATION IN SCHOOL
Massachusetts requirements for administration of medication in school:
- A medication order from a Massachusetts licensed medical provider must be on file with the school nurse
- Written parent/guardian consent to administer medications at school must be on file with the school nurse.
- This medication must be in the original prescription bottle with the student’s name and physician order on the label. If an over the counter medication is prescribed, it must be in the original medication bottle.
- This medication must be brought into school by a responsible adult. Students are not to bring any medication to school.
- No more than a 30 day supply of prescribed medication will be accepted.
- Medication may be retrieved by the parent/guardian at any time: However, any remaining medication needs to be picked up by the last day of school. Medication is not held over the summer in the nurse’s office.
- To be in compliance with Massachusetts Law 105 CMR 210.000 entitled The Administration of Medications in School, all the mandatory forms must be on file in the nurse’s office BEFORE the nurse can administer medication to your student.
- Please call the school nurse at your student’s school with any questions.